This episode tackles something we all deal with
How do you overcome fear?
At some point, we’re all afraid of something. Load up enough weight on a back squat, stack up to a high enough box, or try a new skill (like a muscle up), and there it is. It’s the feeling “this might not go well for me”, “I might get hurt”, or “maybe I should play it safe”. Fear is always at play when you’re training hard, whether it’s on day one or year 7. If you’ve never felt it, you aren’t pushing yourself hard enough.
The thing is, you need that fear. That fear breaks you out of your comfort zone and gets you to the next level of your training. Nothing worth having in life doesn’t have some sort of fear attached to it. The key is figuring out how to get past it.
We talk to Jonny again in today’s episode. It’s all the strategies and tips we’ve used with our athletes and ourselves to overcome fear and continue to make progress.
In this episode, you will learn:
- What “the fear” is, and when we start to feel it
- Why “man the f*** up” is not always the best way to overcome fear
- How to mitigate the “worst case scenario”
- What Jonny learned after passing out in front of an entire class
- How breaking movements down and warming up properly builds confidence
- Why training partners are so important
- Why most lifts are made/missed before you touch the bar
- How to lean on your coach to help you overcome fear
- Why practice is the only way to truly overcome fear forever
Links and Resources for this Episode
- Sean Lind instagram page – click here
- The power of purposeful practice – click here
- How to fail at almost everything (the book by the creator of Dilbert, Scott Adams) – Click here
Thank you for listening
Thank you so much for checking out our podcast! Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below.
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post.
Do you have a burning question you want answered? Let us know!
Subscribe via iTunes – Click here.
Subscribe via Stitcher Click here.
Workout of the Day:
Workout of the Day:
A: Box squat 5 – 5 – 5 – 5
B: Back Squat – 3 – 3 – 3 – 3 – 3
Go as hard and as heavy as you can. You’ll have plenty of time to get this done, so plan on hitting it!
Today is all about strength